- Consistent particle size = 5 ~ 8mm
- High quality Ibaraki brand akadama
- Hard type (retains shape longest)
- Promotes exceptional, healthy growth.
- Great for rooting all forms of cuttings.
- Exclusively imported from Japan by Bonsai Tree.
- Available in 2L bag, 5L bag and 14L bags.
Akadama is a granular volcanic clay-like (although it is not clay) mineral which occurs naturally in Japan. It has been extensively used by Japanese gardeners and bonsai artists for many centuries as a growing medium for bonsai trees and other container-grown plants. It is mined from the surface of the ground, after which it is graded and packaged. Unlike LECA it is not fired at high temperatures however when it is mined from greater depths it tends to be harder or it might be slightly baked. It has many unique qualities, one of which is that when it is wet it has a darker colour so indicates when watering is needed. Akadama is unique as a growing medium and is sought after due to its ability for water retention and nutrients due to its high CEC value. However at the same time it provides porosity and free drainage.
Do not mix with organic material.
- This medium (5 ~ 8mm) particle size akadama is suited to large trees and for a drainage layer.
- Akadama can be combined with other elements such as crushed stone or for best effect use pumice.
For typical growing conditions, a ratio of 1(akadama) : 1(pumice) can be used. For plants which prefer more moisture you can double the quantity of akadama.
See other sizes of akadama available from us