Saturday, 4th July 2019, 09h00 - 15h00
Winter is the ideal time to work on pine bonsai. This species is now dormant and sap-flow at its lowest making it possible for us to shape them with the least amount of risk.
Part 1: Theory
To start the day's activities Terry Erasmus will go through some theory for approximately an hour and a half with all the delegates. Included in the theory the basic concepts will be presented. Several case studies will also be used to illustrate the process of creating bonsai bonsai from stock. This part will essentially form the background to what delegates who will be staying for the workshop will be doing in practice. We will then have a short tea/coffee break.
Part 2: Practical
Delegates staying for the workshop will now be afforded the opportunity to apply what they heard including; styling of pines, wiring and shaping trunks, branches and foliage, how to use guy wires and branch jacks as well as rebar, how to use copper wire (if you wish to use aluminium instead that is your prerogative)and generally apply what you have learnt in the morning to a tree.
Who should do the course
This is a course which is ideal for all skill levels. As this is a small group workshop (limited to 8 participants) Terry Erasmus will be able to assist you at a level you are comfortable with and you will also be able to learn from fellow delegates who are also receiving instruction.
What is included
You will be provided with a covered space in which to work.
Morning tea and coffee included for all delegates.
Please bring the following or order it prior to the workshop and it will be available to you upon arrival:
Trimming scissors,Branch cutter, Saw, Branch jack
(if heavy bending is going to be needed), Copper wire, Wire cutter, Pine needle tweezers
, Crean mate stone
(if you think you will need it).
What you need to bring
- Notepad and writing implements (All participants)
- Please bring your own tools or order them at least 24hrs prior to the event and I will bring them to you. A pine tree for styling or you can purchase on the day (Workshop delegates only).
Stone Lantern Bonsai. 32 Owl Street, Joostenberg Vlakte, Kraaifontein, Cape Town, 7550. Google Map. Contact: 083 375 0446 or visit their website.
- There is no limit to the number of delegates for Part 1: Theory, however Part 2: Practical is limited to 8 people.
- Your space on this workshop is guaranteed only upon receipt of full payment on a first come first served basis.
- Should you need to cancel please inform me in writing a minimum of 72hrs (3 days) prior to the workshop and you will be refunded in full. If you fail to do so and are unable to prove an emergency, you will forfeit 100% of your fees.